1. Determine the child's grade level in school.
2. View the suggested alphabetical levels in the front cover of The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Book List K-8+ for the grade level of the child with whom you are working (usually a range of 3-4 levels per grade level).
3. Go to the second half of The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Book List K-8+ to find books by level.
4. Search Milner's catalog to check if we have a particular title. Watch a video here to see how.
1. The call # will direct you to the book you've located in the catalog.
2. If the call # has a prefix of TMC Text, it will be located at the Leveled Book Station in the TMC.
3. If the call # has a prefix of Easy, Fiction, or a number, it will be in the TMC stacks associated with that prefix.
Certain publishers have leveled book programs created especially for them. These contain pre-leveled titles and are usually accompanied by a Teacher's Guide. Typically, they include book titles that are not "well-known" but are designed to be read quickly, easily and successfully by children.
Leveled book programs include multiple copies of titles (4-6 each) for use with small groups. They may have a leveling system that is unique to that publisher.
The TMC has many titles contained within leveled book programs (these have a TMC Text call # prefix) located at the Leveled Book Station. We also have many of the Teacher's Guides for certain programs. We have cataloged them individually for ease in choosing a title or titles for the child with whom you are working. Use The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Book List K-8+ of these books to determine the level compatible with the gradient system used uniformly by Fountas and Pinnell.