Attaching Files to a Reference
From a list of references
- Click the file attachment button under the specific record to open the File Attachments popup
- Click the Attach Files link
- Click the Browse button in the dialog box to find and attach the file
Within the source record
- Click Attach files
- The Upload Files window allows you to upload up to five files at a time.
- Click Browse to find the file you want to upload
- When you have selected the file(s), click Upload
Note: If a file is no longer attached to a reference, this dialog will prompt you to reattach the file.
Managing File Attachments
- Select Manage Attachments under the Organize tab
- Click the file attachment button to open the File Attachments window
- Delete file attachments if desired
Note: If you delete a file attachment from a reference that you transferred from EndNote X5, you must also delete the attachment from EndNote X5. Otherwise, the attachment will reappear the next time you perform a transfer.
File Attachment Limits
- There is no restriction to the size of a file attached to a reference. However, the total amount of space allotted to file attachments is 1GB.
- If you subscribe to EndNote Online and have EndNote Desktop X5 or later, you may attach an unlimited number of files to a reference.
- If you subscribe to EndNote Online and you have EndNote Desktop X2 - X4, you may view the names of files attached to a reference that you transferred from EndNote Desktop to EndNote Online. However, you cannot open the files or attach new files in EndNote Online.
- You may transfer file attachments between EndNote X5 or later and EndNote Online.