Using the Cite While You Write toolbar, gives you several options for selecting a citation style and allows you to insert citations into the text of your document.
Select a Citation Style
- Click the Format Bibliography button in the EndNote Online toolbar
- In the Format Bibliography dialog box, select the citation style from the With output style drop-down menu
- Add a title in the Bibliography Title field, such as Works Cited, Bibliography, References, etc.
- Click the OK button
Insert an In-text Citation
When you add an in-text citation into the text of your document, the full source citation will be added to the Works Cited or Bibliography section of your document in the citation style you selected.
- Within the Word document, place the cursor in the location where the in-text citation should appear.
- Click the Find Citation(s) button in the EndNote Online toolbar.
- In the Find & Insert My References dialog box, enter a search term like an author's last name
- Click the Search button
- Select the reference to be inserted
- Click the Insert button to insert the in-text citation
Change the In-text Citation format
- Highlight the in-text citation to modified
- Click on the Edit Citation(s) button in the EndNote Online toolbar
- Select the type of modification you want to do:
- Exclude the author - Removes the author's/authors name(s)
- Exclude the year - Removes the publication year
- Page(s) - Adds the page number(s)
See also: EndNote Online: Cite While You Write Overview video (2:37 min.)