Please Note: Direct Export will work differently depending on the database you are using. For Nursing and Health Sciences, you can find directions on the Nursing and Health Sciences databases page. Consult the full list of specific databases for more directions.
General Direct Export Instructions
1. Conduct your search and select the results you wish to export by either checking a box OR adding to a folder.
2. Click on the Export button and select RefWorks OR click on your folder, select Export, select Direct Export to RefWorks and save.
3. Log into your RefWorks account. Your references will appear in the Last Imported folder.
4. Move the references from Last Imported to an existing or new folder.
RefWorks is integrated with hundreds of databases. Find a complete list of import filters on this web page.
If you need to move collected records from another citation management system, RefWorks details the steps necessary to do so. Instructions are available for EndNote, Reference Manager, Zotero and more.
Manually Entering Sources
1. Click the New Reference button.
2. Select the appropriate reference type from the drop down menu.
3. Under Fields Used By use the drop down menu to select the style you plan to use for your bibliography.
4. Enter each piece of data in the appropriate field.
5. Click the Save Reference button.
You have six options to build your database in RefWorks:
Converting from another bibliographic management program such as EndNote