1. The African American Experience by Joe William Trotter, Jr.
(See especially chapters 19-23 on the Civil Rights Movement.)
2. American Pharaoh: Mayor Richard J. Daley: His Battle for Chicago and the Nation by Adam Cohen and Elizabeth Taylor.
3. Autobiography of Black Politics by Dempsey J.Travis.
4. Black Civil Rights in America by Kevern Verney. (also Online).
5. Black Exodus: the Great Migration from the American South edited by Alferdteen Harrison. (also Online).
6. The Black Man Comes to the City; a Documentary Account from the Great Migration to the Great Depression, 1915 to 1930 by Robert B. Grant.
7. Black Migration in America from 1915 to 1960: an Uneasy Exodus by E. Marvin Goodwin.
8. Black Migration in the United States with Emphasis on Selected Central Cities by Marcus E. Jones.
9. Black Power/White Control; the Struggle of the Woodlawn Organization in Chicago by John Hall Fish.
10. Black Self-Determination; the Story of the Woodlawn Organization by Arthur M. Brazier.
11. Bound for the Promised Land: African American Religion and the Great Migration by Milton C. Sernett. (also Online).
12. Bridges of Memory: Chicago’s First Wave of Black Migration by Timuel D. Black Jr.
13. Bring Us Together: the Nixon Team and the Civil Rights Retreat by Leon Panetta & Peter Gall.
15. Daley: Power and Presidential Politics by F. Richard Ciccone.
17. From Plantation to Ghetto by August Meier and Elliott Rudwick.
19. In Struggle: SNCC and the Black Awakening of the 1960s by Clayborne Carson.
20. John F. Kennedy and the Second Reconstruction by Carl M. Brauer.
21. Land of Hope: Chicago, Black Southerners, and the Great Migration by James R. Grossman.
22. Mr. Kennedy and the Negroes by Harry Golden.
23. The Negro in Chicago; a Study of Race Relations and a Race Riot, by the Chicago Commission on Race Relations. (also Online).
24. Northern Protest: Martin Luther King, Jr., Chicago and the Civil Rights Movement by James R. Ralph, Jr.
25. The Origins of the Civil Rights Movement: Black Communities Organizing for Change by Aldon D. Morris.
26. Poor: a Culture of Poverty or a Poverty of Culture? edited by J. Alan Winter.
27. by Steven F. Lawson.
28. Sarge: the Life and Times of Sargent Shriver by Scott Stossel.
29. Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee: the Growth of Radicalism in a Cvil Rights Organization by Emily Stoper.
30. The War Against the Poor: the Underclass and Antipoverty Policy by Herbert J. Gans.
34. Civil Rights Crossroads: Nation, Community and the Black Freedom Struggle by Steven F. Lawson. (also Online).
35. The Declining Significance of Race by William J. Wilson.
36. The Trouble With Diversity by Walter Benn Michaels.
37. The Content of Our Character by Shelby Steele.