Milner Library subscribes to various newspapers both online and on microfilm.
The microfilm for most newspapers is located on Floor 2 or in Basement Storage.
Microfilm of newspapers may also be borrowed from other libraries through InterLibrary Loan.
1. Historical New York Times (Online) 1851-2019.
2. Historical Chicago Tribune (Online). 1849-2013.
3. Bloomington Pantagraph (online) 1857 - 1925 through Newspapers.com Illinois Collection.
Full text of Harper's Weekly for the years 1857-1912.
5. Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers.
Full text online database of 19th century papers from many states in the U.S.
6. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers.
Full text for some 700+ newspapers from 1836-1922.
Additional Primary Sources
Includes the full text of early African American newspapers, The Liberator, the National Anti-Slavery Standard,
the Pennsylvania Gazette, the Virginia Gazette, etc.
African American Newspapers
Full text of African American newspapers from 39 different states from 1827 - 1998.
Most coverage is after the Civil War.
American Periodical Series Online, 1741-1900+.
Full text of American popular and professional periodicals including over 1,000 titles in all, covering a wide range of subjects.
Black Thought and Culture.
Full text database of books, speeches, essays, articles, and interviews of major African American leaders
from colonial times to the present.
Women and Social Movements in the U. S. 1600-2000.
Full text database of primary and secondary sources on the role of women in a range of social movements
throughout American history.
Library of Congress - Digital Collections.
Library of Congress site containing primary documents from various eras of U.S. history
including the Frederick Douglass papers, Slave narratives, Civil War diaries, etc.
1. The Black Abolitionist Papers. 5 vols. (E 449 .B624 1985 Floor 3.) and Online.
2. The Letters of William Lloyd Garrison 6 vols. (E 449 .G245 Floor 3)
3. The Frederick Douglass Papers. Series 1: Speeches, debates and interviews.
5 vols. (E 449 .D733 Floor 3)
4. The Liberator v. 1-35, 1831-1865. In American Periodical Series Online.
5. American Anti-Slavery Society. Annual Reports.
6. Documentary History of Slavery in North America. (E 441 .D64 - Floor 3)
7. The American Slave -- narratives. (E 444 .A45 Floor to Reserve and Floor 3).
American Slave Narratives (online) -- excerpts from the American Slave.
Illinois State University
Campus Box 8900
201 North School Street
Normal, Il 61790-8900
Have comments or questions about our guides?
Please contact Instruction and Student Engagement: