Milner Library has served as a selective Federal Depository for government information dating from 1858-1862, and from 1877 to the present.
The depository has played an important role in the history of the university; over half of the original holdings of the University Library in 1858 consisted of government publications donated by local legislators, Senators Stephen Douglas and Lyman Trumball, and Representative Owen Lovejoy, who also designated the University Library a Federal Depository. Following the Civil War when our designation was lost, Senator (and former Illinois governor) Richard Oglesby re-designated the University as a depository for government information.
As a result of our historic background, we have many primary sources dating to the mid-nineteenth century. Additionally, we have resources dating to the founding of our nation.
More on the History of Federal Depository Library Program
Illinois State University
Campus Box 8900
201 North School Street
Normal, Il 61790-8900